I am so glad to know what you think! I am a little surprised at the results of the poll. I thought it would be a little more towards "don't even think about it" or "that is so gross". Well here is what we think (Me, Stephen, and Aby)...We think they are very different than what we imagine when someone says cloth diapers. I know that they are a little more trouble than throwing on a pamper and chucking it afterwards BUT is it worth it?
On average a family will spend $2500 on disposable diapers per child! That is outrageous! I don't know about you but I don't have that kind of money...considering how many kids we want to have! Cloth diapers are an investment. We are putting the money up front now to save some in the long run. Compared to the price of disposable diapers we will save money starting with Aby and plan on reusing the same cloth diapers (and adding a few along the way) with all the children that follow!
Dioxin, you have probably never heard of it but it's a bleach byproduct and is one of the most toxic of all cancer linked chemicals and it's in disposable diapers. Disposable diapers also contain chemicals like polyacrlate gel and Tributyl Tim as well as perfumes, latex and dyes that can cause other complications. I know what you're thinking "don't be so technical, no one has gotten cancer from a diaper" but everyone these days seems to have cancer...and I'd rather be safe than sorry. If there is something I can do to prevent her from getting cancer or lower the risk, then I will do my best! I consider it my job to make the very best choices for her, even if it's not the easiest for me.
Disposable diapers are also the 3rd largest consumer item in landfills. Crazy right! I am no tree hugger BUT I do think that we are responsible for the planet and we will be held accountable to how we treat it. It's the same reason that we don't litter.
Cloth diapering for the glory of God. This is ultimately what drives us in making this decision. We have been in trusted with this little life and we want what is very best with her, we also desire to be fiscally, and environmentally responsible. my ministry is here at home with Aby and I seek to glorify God in every choice I make and ultimately I think that we are honoring him in this decision!
Let me be very clear about something though this is a choice that we have made for our family because we can. I recognize that not everyone is a stay at home mom. Not everyone has the money to put up front and frankly not everyone is impressed with the benefits of cloth and would never even consider it and that's okay. It doesn't work for everyone it is simply what works for us!
They also look super cute on her little hiney!
No comments:
Post a Comment