They were staying in an old closed down school that had been turned into a dorm type camp. It was in no way modern or cool just the bare essentials...like some of the bathroom stalls had shower curtains for doors!
We drove up with a mother and sister of 2 of the campers and surprised them for a visit. We stayed for dinner and a portion of the worship service. We had to leave early because we were advised not to be outside of the school in the dark.
The youth spent the week visiting nursing homes, holding VBS type camps for children and doing construction on "homes" in a hollow in eastern Kentucky.
A funny story I think worth mentioning is the story of a hollow. Since I grew up in Texas where there are absolutely no hills I had never heard of a hollow (the area between two hills). Everyone here in Kentucky obviously has a very strong southern accent and so when a hollow was first explained to me it was called a holler. I had no reason to question this pronunciation and so went on calling it such (a holler). I quickly found out that I was in fact completely butchering the actual name (a hollow) and the worst part is I don't even have an accent!
No comments:
Post a Comment